First thoughts on arrival in TO:
1. BA is right that the 787 Dreamliner is much quieter than earlier jets, and the air seemed fresher etc. BA critics are right that the leg-room is poor.
2. Rapid transit to Pearson will start in May, not a moment too soon.
3. Presto smart card system will finally get rolled out across,TTC this year, not a moment too soon.
4. My sixth time in Toronto, but my first for an extended stay. As in London, palpable sense of economic and population growth, transit and housing issues to the fore. Immigration is a key driver of economic growth and vice versa.
5. I walked around West Queen Street West on Sunday, a classic gentrification moving frontier and according to Vogue (who am I to disagree?) the second coolest neighbourhood on the planet.
6. This city takes food and eating seriously.
7. Sunday afternoon was sunny and relatively warmer. At the first sign of better weather, Toronto residents are out in the parks and on porches, making the absolute best of it, a great (and I understand Canadian) characteristic.